Saturday 7 May 2016

Book Review || The Many Worlds of Albie Bright by Christopher Edge



- MIDDLE GRADE SCIENCE-FICTION - 
When Albie's mum dies, it's natural he should ask where she's gone. His parents are scientists and they usually have all the answers. Dad mutters something about quantum physics and parallel universes, so Albie gets a box, a laptop and a rotting banana, and sends himself through time and space in search of his mum. 
What he finds may or may not be what he's looking for, but he does learn the answers to some big questions. 

This book has a really close resemblance for me to A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness, which as you should know by now is one of my favourite books of all time - they are both middle grade and both have a focus around a young boy who's mother is sick with cancer. In Albie's case, this mother has already died and he wants to invent a Quantum Banana Theory to visit parallel universes so he can find one where his mother is alive, with the help of a slightly insane cat called Dylan. 

This book caught me by surprise. When I saw it in store, I automatically had high expectations not just because of the beautiful book cover but because it's science-fiction and middle grade. Any chance I can to read about quantum physics, I will take, even if I don't know that much about it. I just find it really interesting, and I'm beyond happy that Mr. Edge could write something like this to help teach the younger generation about science.

It takes you on an adorable little adventure through parallel universes of what could have happened with hilarious little scenes here and there, and the adorable is too much, okay, it's just too much. But in a great way.

I'm honestly surprised this book doesn't have more recognition because it honestly, hand on heart, deserves it. Thank you, Edge, for giving me this delightful thing.

(Go on, it's only 180 pages - you know you want to!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment